Re: Is it possible to copy en-GB translations to en-AU to make the starting point for en-AU easier?

Hey,

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 04:34 +1000, Michael . wrote:
> Good morning everyone.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to directly copy the en-GB
> translations over to en-AU (because en-AU is much closer to en-GB than
> it is to en-US or any other en-dialect). This would make the starting
> point for en-AU easier as after this only small changes would need to
> be made. I have tried to contact Bastien from en-GB (via his personal
> email address listed on his website), about the python script, a few
> times but as yet have had no response from him so I am thinking this
> is a viable alternative method to accelerating the en-AU translation.

I think Mario's covered the copying side of things. The en_GB.pl
translation script[1] is meant to cover all dialects of English, so if
there are any incorrect or missing en_AU variants of the words covered
there, please submit a patch[2] for the script, or let me know and I'll
update it.

Using the script should make translating large numbers of strings quite
easy, though you do have to check them afterwards.

Philip

[1]: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-i18n/tree/en_GB/en_GB.pl
[2]:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=l10n&component=British%