Re: 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report

Jorge González González <aloriel gmail com>, Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:34:09
+0200:

> Am Dienstag, den 13.07.2010, 08:24 +0200 schrieb Johannes Schmid:
> > > Yes, why not... On the other hand, from the translator's
> > perspective, it
> > > seems like the best and most favorable situation would be if no docs
> > > rewriting, especially late in the cycle, as it might be the case,
> > would
> > > happen at all. :-)
> >
> > With my maintainer head on: After string freeze is the best time for
> > developers to update the documentation as there isn't much else to do.
> > It's not nice for translators, but it's the way things work. I plan to
> > make heavy changes in the Anjuta documentation so you have been
> > warned.
> Yeap, not nice. However I still think there should be one week for
> doc-string-freeze, so we could have time to translate, at least, part of
> it. Anyway, I guess that's another battle.

I couldn't but second that. If i18n/l10n is one of the major aims for the
whole GNOME Project, there should be some arrangement of documentation
being string freezed.

However, maintainers'/developers' point of view, outlined by Johannes, is
certainly fully understandable too. Considering free resources one has and
GNOME release planning, string freeze period is surely the most convenient
time to work on given documentation tasks.

Anyway, whenever we say that something is not nice for translators, we
should also add that it's not nice for users too. That's quite important
point I think, since (end) users matter most in judging GNOME-like project
success.

Best,
Petr Kovar