Re: New GNOME Website - Translation

Am Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:35:10 +0200 schrieb Petr Kovar:

> Hi!
>
> Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org>, Sun, 7 Jun 2009 22:05:43 +0100:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> No comments? Just wondering why... Too complex? Couldn't understand?
>
> Yes, from my point of view, I think so. Actually it's obvious, a
> considerable amount of us are (technical) translators, with specific,
> but restricted knowledge of technological background.
>
> Now, give us a git repository where we can find a POT file, and we'll
> happily add and/or update catalogs for our respective languages, as
> we're used to when dealing with the l10n of library.gnome.org,
> l10n.gnome.org etc.
>
> Sorry, if the linked proposal suggests just the same. Just my 5 cents.

At the end thats what it is all about. But to get there integration work
need to be done.

In short:

1) Plone has a great system dealing with translations. It does work with
PO/POT (gettext) on one level (developer-level), on the other level
(author/editor-level) it does not.

2) Translators at gnome-project are used to work with PO/POT files and a
GIT.

3) I proposed a way to bridge it using a simple webservice and the tools
you already have (xml2po, git repository).

4) We need i18n-aware developers which helps interfacing the two worlds.

Tasks:

A) adapting xml2po to support ATXML (Plone XML output)

B) create a software pulling POT files and pushing translated files and
let xml2po munge them and commit them to GIT.

C) Define a policy who is allowed/how/when to invoke (B)

I cant do (A) - its more in the domain of the original authors of xml2po
or developers familar with xml2po.

I can help with (B) (providing a basic Python-script doing the work of
pulling/pushing). But integration/last polishing is in my opinion more in
the Sysadmins domain.

For (C) I propose: who: sysadmins/webadmins, automatic+log, daily.

regards
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance