Re: Using Git and separating translations into their own l10n-LL repository

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2009 à 10:31 -0600, Jason D. Clinton a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Simos Xenitellis
> <simos lists googlemail com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Matej Urban <matej urban gmail com> wrote:
> >> Well, I'm sure the devels are able to make the system work in anyway
> >> they choose, that's why I yell so loudly to get all the po files of
> >> one language into one single directory. Now that would cut down the
> >> maintenance.
> >
> > Earlier in this thread I mention a possible way to have all
> > translations for each language in its own repository (thus, single
> > folder). There where some advantages and disadvantages with this
> > process. I am not sure if you managed to try it using the test
> > repositories from github.com.
> > I believe there is a potential to adapt the proposal so that the
> > disadvantages are eliminated.
> > If you want to have a look at it, it would be great. I'ld be happy to
> > discuss about it.
>
> Given the number of times that translators have broken the build of
> our module, Gnome Games, because they don't run make check before they
> commit. I'm 100% opposed to any configuration in which translators are
> freed from the responsibility of making sure that they didn't break
> something.
>
> Both of these proposals are good ideas but will cause many headaches
> unless the make check is automated somehow.

I suppose you're talking about documentation translation, right? Because
for ui translation, I don't see how to break the build when the file
pass msgfmt -vc (as required by the SVN hook).

For doc translation, yes, damned-lies could be enhanced to build the
documentation from the translations and check the result with xmllint.
Feel free to add a bug report about this. But this has nothing to do
with the location of files in the VCS.

Claude