Re: git: using branches

Hi,

Il giorno sab, 18/04/2009 alle 16.08 +0100, Simos Xenitellis ha scritto:

> If there is an existing it.po in the repository, it is not required to
> 'git add'.

Hmmm... my 'git help add' says I have to do it even if I modify one
file.

If I try to 'git commit' without 'git add' before, it says:

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

and git will not do the real commit.

> Normally, you do not erase branches of the 'origin/xxxxx' form.
> The 'origin/gtk-2-16' branch and anything 'origin/xxxxxx' reside on the server.
> I had a look at http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-16
> and I notice that no deletion was pushed to git.gnome.org, so it's OK.
> In general, you can keep the branches.
>

> Something must have gone wrong when you tried to checkout the branch.
> Can you verify which version of 'git' you have? If it is earlier than
> 1.6.1, then
> the above 'checkout' command did not work as expected.

The version I'm using is 1.5.6.3

> Something went wrong with the checkout and we need to update the instructions.
> The branch should not be called 'origin/gtk-2-16' but rather 'gtk-2-16'.
> You can try to checkout with the command at
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/GitHowTo
> which is
>
> git checkout -b gtk-2-16 origin/gtk-2-16
>
> ('--track' is default when you use this syntax).
>
> Then, 'git branch' should show
>
>    master
>  * gtk-2-16

Yes, that's where I was doing wrong, I was doing:

git checkout -b origin/gtk-2-16

and git automatically use master as the base of the checkout even if you
don't specify it, that's why I was seeing my last commit. My local
checkout was called origin/gtk-2-16 but was a copy of master.

If I didn't screw up things, now my commit should be visibile on
gtk-2-16.

Thank you for the help.

Cheers.

--