Re: git: using branches

Hi,

I have some questions/doubts/things I can't understand quite well right
now with git and how to use branches.

I was trying to commit+push a new Italian translation for gtk+ 2-16
branch, since looks like it has one string left:

http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gtk+/gtk-2-16/po/it

I switched to origin/gtk-2-16 using this command:

git branch --track -b origin/gtk-2-16

Doing a 'git branch' I saw:

  master
* origin/gtk-2-16

I downloaded the Italian file from damned-lies, 'git status' showed me
the modified file.

'git add po/it.po'

'git commit --signoff --author .... '

'git push'

Result: it said everything is up to date, nothing to push.

So I switched back to master, deleted the gtk-2-16 branch ('branch -D
origin/gtk-2-16'), re-checkedout the 2-16 and have done this:

git log

And I saw my last commit on 'master' while I'm on 'origin/gtk-2-16'. Is
this behaviour expected?

I have done also a 'msgfmt' on it.po, and the result is 997 translated
as 'master', but still I'm on gtk-2-16 and it should have been, for
Italian, 996 translated + 1 untranslated.

I double checked the PO-Revision-Date of the it.po in my local copy and
is the one I pushed on 'master', but 'git branch' says I'm on
'origin/gtk-2-16'.

What am I doing wrong here?

--
Milo Casagrande <milo casagrande name>