Re: Batch-download all GNOME po directories

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Yannig MARCHEGAY <yannig marchegay org> wrote:
> 2009/4/18 DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar <dulmandakh gmail com>
>>
>> > I'm trying to understand everything about git. Do someone know how I
>> > could
>> > batch-download all GNOME po directories? I made such a script for SVN,
>> > if
>> > someone made the same for git, it would be great. I'd love not to have
>> > download whole repositories with a lot of files I don't need for
>> > translation.
>>
>> you can find download link at the bottom of damned-lies or
>> http://l10n.gnome.org.
>
> That's for downloading every single repository, isn't it? What I mean is
> what I did in
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/Scripts?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=svn-checkout_l10n.sh

SVN allows to checkout a subdirectory of a repository,
so it was easy to checkout the po/ subdirectories only.
In Git, this is not possible.

The move to Git requires to update our translation workflows.

What I would suggest is to try to clone the repositories of the GNOME release,
and keep those on your system. We now know the figures;
the GNOME 2.26 Git repositories would take about 2.6GB on your disk.
If you were to download these files in a compressed .tar.bz2, the file
would be around 1.6GB.
It would be quite straightforward to use a download manager and get a
1.6GB file.
Then, you can use 'git pull --rebase' to easily update them when you need to.

You can find the individual sizes of the repositories at
http://blogs.gnome.org/simos/2009/04/18/git-clones-vs-shallow-git-clones/

Simos