Re: Translation Team for Latin (la, lat)

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 05:39 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> Just a question of curiosity, what dictionaries, corpuses or linguistic
> tools in general are you going to use in localization to Latin as a target
> language?
>
> In the past, I was provided with some Recent Latin resource
> consisting of examples of computer terminology, I'm also aware of Roman
> Curia (or should I say Curia romana) publishing a lexicon for "modern
> terms" from time to time, but personally I somehow doubt that it'd enough
> for localization of something as extensive and as "technical" as GNOME.

That's a good question that I wish I had a good answer for. IIRC the
lexicon published by the Roman Curia is an Italian-Latin translation, is
infrequently published in lots of 100 at a time, and is very expensive
(but very nicely bound.) They generally go to universities. So while I
may not be able to lay my hands on a copy for myself there's a pretty
good chance one of the local (San Diego, CA) universities will have a
copy, or even the San Diego Diocese. Still I expect that we'll not be
able to find a translation for every term, in which case we'll just need
to use our best judgment in creating a new Latin term. I would expect
that just about anybody using Gnome in Latin will be encountering those
terms for the first time in Latin anyways. In the end we'll probably
need to publish our own lexicon for the more obscure terms as I wouldn't
expect an end-user of Latin Gnome to be conversant with the terms we dig
out of the Roman Curia lexicon, or elsewhere, much less those we create.