Re: Launchpad licensing issues

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Leonardo F. Fontenelle
<leonardof gnome org> wrote:
> What a minute... If I localize a GPL-ed software, and distribute my
> translation with the GPL, an Ubuntu translation team will be unable to
> import it into Rosetta. Even worse, today there should be a lot of
> upstream translation already in Rosetta. They can't just change the
> licensing of previously GPL-ed contributions!

Hold your horses fellas. Nothing of this sort has happened yet. I've
been following this discussion at both ends of the "arena" long
enough, and from what I understand nothing that gets imported (not to
confuse with uploaded manually) by Ubuntu gets the new BSD licensing
scheme. In other words, a GNOME package that gets imported will
maintain its original license. It is only with translations done via
Rosetta OR manual uploads that the BSD license kicks in (assuming you
are a member of the Ubuntu translation team AND have chosen the BSD
license). Because this new process is new, I believe that it is safe
to say that every GNOME package in the Ubuntu repositories still have
their original license.
--
Og B. Maciel

omaciel foresightlinux org