Re: Import from Launchpad

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:06:06AM +0100, Claude Paroz wrote:
> Le samedi 26 janvier 2008 à 08:58 +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan a
> écrit :
> > On Jan 25, 2008 11:34 PM, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists googlemail com> wrote:
> >
> > > Languages with small teams are stretched enough, offering redundancy
> > > for them is dubious at best.
> >
> > +1 for Thai team.
> >
> > The problem becomes serious when many newcomers who care less about
> > spellings are keen to help their favourite distro. And all my attempts to
> > persuade them to join upstream team instead, so they can gain experience
> > from the review process, were shrugged off.
> >
> > Neither did the offer to the launchpad coordinators to work together get any
> > care. All that Damned Lies and our local facilities (wiki, glossary,
> > corpus) offer
> > are not 'easy' enough for them. It's hopeless to get this kind of attitude from
> > even the coordinators themselves. (Some Ubuntu contributors, however, do
> > care enough to send me the PO files of their works, which is very nice. But they
> > seem to be minority.)
>
> Just want to clarify one thing. It's not a matter of being a big team or
> not. We have simply obtained from our language Launchpad coordinator
> that they *don't touch* GNOME packages (neither KDE), except from urgent
> corrections, and only translate what is specific to Ubuntu or in special
> cases where there is no upstream.
> Of course, if the coordinator don't want to cooperate, you're stuck :-(

That is the main problem for many languages, in case of Arabic the
Ubuntu coordinator is practically non-existent, actually the whole
"team" (does the word even apply to them?) is a team of ghosts who
pop up, do some (mostly wrong) translations and disappear again, all
attempts to contact them are in vain. Ubuntu allowed this to happen and
it is their responsibility to fix it.

--
 Khaled Hosny