Re: Import from Launchpad

On Jan 25, 2008 11:34 PM, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists googlemail com> wrote:

> Languages with small teams are stretched enough, offering redundancy
> for them is dubious at best.

+1 for Thai team.

The problem becomes serious when many newcomers who care less about
spellings are keen to help their favourite distro. And all my attempts to
persuade them to join upstream team instead, so they can gain experience
from the review process, were shrugged off.

Neither did the offer to the launchpad coordinators to work together get any
care. All that Damned Lies and our local facilities (wiki, glossary,
corpus) offer
are not 'easy' enough for them. It's hopeless to get this kind of attitude from
even the coordinators themselves. (Some Ubuntu contributors, however, do
care enough to send me the PO files of their works, which is very nice. But they
seem to be minority.)

Meanwhile, we get many bug reports from Ubuntu users about spelling errors,
which are all from Ubuntu versions, not ours. So, from time to time, all we can
do is ask them to get back to launchpad. We have no permission to do anything
for it. (And even we do, we cannot correct all forks of distros, either.)

Given the already lack of manpower, this confusion just aggravates the problem.
Yes, we need contributions from people, but we also concern about quality.
So, please don't import Thai translation from launchpad or any other source
without my awareness. Any established coordination is welcome.

Thanks,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/