Re: Help me get SVN access for translations

Og Maciel ha scritto:
I only wish you had replied to my enquiries... anyhow, about a year
and a few months back you mentioned I was too young (even though I had
already worked with the Ubuntu team for quite some time) to get the commit access and suggested I waited one year.

Firstly, for the record, some things need clarification. There was no matter of being 'young' involved - it would be silly and ironic if it did, after my being kept waiting indefinitely to join Debian just because I was 13 years old at the time -, but, among others, a matter of recent involvement with the project. As per our policy, in case you have not had time to read it, GNOME accounts are neither granted to prospective contributors, no matter how amazingly qualified and enthusiastic they are, nor as means of rewarding an individual for their valuable work. An account is a tool, and that's how it should be faced: a way to enable someone to do their work, which usually happens when it is so complex, large and frequent that making it go through the person it used to reduces efficiency. That was not the case, as you very well know.

Furthermore, I am quite sure I mentioned what technical problems there were with your request. As I told you, I'm not sure this is how other translation teams do it, but in the Brazilian Portuguese translation team, the coordinator and the committers appointed by him have a very important responsibility in terms of quality assurance, and I had to spend considerable amounts of time reviewing your work back when you volunteered for commit access, which made me ask you to be a little more careful with your proofreading so that you could eventually suit the role.

My Bugzilla record shows that not only have I been a regular
contributor to the Brazilian team, but I have pretty much brought 95%
of the contributors who have helped the Brazilian team release at 100%
for the last 2 consecutive cycles. I think that those who have worked
with me can vouch for my work and I am more than ready to get svn
access.

Nobody has disputed the volume or regularity of your recent contributions - let alone me, who am very well aware of all the effort you have been putting into this. However, as other people in this thread have brilliantly pointed out, it is not about 'being ready', and it is not a right you obtained with your work.

So to (hopefully) drive this trough, I kindly ask that you bless my
request, or give a just and clear reason as for why you would deny me
two times?

Not only will I bless it, but as systems administrator and accounts team member, I will be more than happy to create it for you, once it is decided that you should have it. As you probably missed from my first message, I'm open to rediscussing the matter and reevaluating your contributions. These lists you've been cross-posting to are not, however, the place for this.

--
Guilherme de S. Pastore
gpastore gnome org