Re: Problems with the French team

Christophe Fergeau a écrit :

* it's ok for the maintainer to be really rude toward the work of new
translators (I've seen people sending their first translation, and
getting answers along the lines of "this is total crap" and things like
that)
Can you send links ?
I always respect new translators, *always*.

http://www.traduc.org/pipermail/gnomefr/2005-September/000586.html ? Ok,
this isn't the best example since I think you were already pissed at
Stéphane for other reasons, it wasn't his first post to the list. But I
know some people who said they were discouraged by the way you talked to
them when reviewing their translations. Since most of the proof-reading
work was done through private mails between you and the translators, I
don't have any proof except from what those people told me...

It's easy, ask to these people to send you their mails...

* it's ok for the maintainer not to answer at all to people asking
if/how all the translations will get in before a gnome release (we had
~20 translations pending a few weeks before gnome 2.14, and not much CVS
activity)
This problem was not solved with my absence. Can be that the cause should be sought elsewhere…

I think in the end, things were getting up to speed when Benoît started
to trust proof-readings made by Jonathan, someone whose name I forgot
(sorry :-/ ), and myself instead of only relying on translations he had
time to proof-read... Since your illness was pretty unexpected, there
was obviously a moment of total misorganization...

Benoit took my place 2 days after my hospitalization. And considering all the translations was in the list and that it had already a total access to the CVS, there was no disorganization. Bad excuse!

It is precisely because the translation process is open and clearly defined, that my replacement is also easy!

I prefer people who work, has those which is satisfied to speak. Just my point of view. The CVS is not the place or must fight battles of ego. There is thus one commiter at the same time. As a developer you can understand that.
The good translators have my confidence naturally.

We are talking about coordinating a translation project... This is all
about talking to people, and making sure everyone is as satisfied as
possible, and making sure everything works as smoothly as possible. If
you don't manage to do that, and instead have a behaviour of "I'm the
boss, you must do my bid, and never contradict me", then something's
wrong imo.

I'm not the boss, and you can contradict me.
It is not what you do? And it even appears that one can contradict me since years :)

It seems that you are unaware of that there is now a coordinator for documentation. Then, why claims you that I refuse the improvements of process, since it is with pleasure that I install officially vertimus?

I don't really have time to dig through all the mails were you
constantly rejected (or even ignored) questions, or proposals to make
the translation project more scalable.

I ask for years an application of follow-up of translation in an open way and easy way. It was developed, tested and it is now in service. It's not perfect, but usable.

It's not so bad. Others understood that it is not useful has anything to complain continuously and that by putting the hands at the paste, it is more productive.

Let's not talk about the proposal
of switching the outdated web site to a wiki,

The web site is not outdated. And I don't see the reason to put wiki, blog, Web 2.0, forums, <put here your buzz words>, aliased mails, php, python, perl, java, give multiple accounts.
The Web site give what is needed for translations, not for fun.

You want a wiki, you have one on live.gnome.org.
And the only thing that is useful, it is to recopy the contents of the gnomefr.traduc.org site. More curious, is that those which had fun has to create these pages on live.gnome.org abstained from specifying that the official site is gnomefr.traduc.org.
Useless to come to complain now that the translators are confused!!

	Librement,
--
Christophe Merlet (RedFox)