Re: Translating release notes

Hi Murray, translators,

If you're a translator, you might want to skip the first part which is
mostly useful for managing *all* translations at a time.  If someone
is not aware, xml2po is part of gnome-doc-utils in Gnome CVS, and
requires GNU gettext, Python and libxml2 Python bindings.

Yesterday at 10:29, Murray Cumming wrote:

>> If you don't want to use gnome-doc-utils, you can merge translations
>> back simply using "xml2po -p sr/sr.po -o sr/rnotes.xml C/rnotes.xml",
>> but you might need to repeat this for every single file.
> Excellent. Could you please try this out in releng?

First a note: there was a (tiny :) bug in xml2po which prevented it
from accepting certain kinds of messages.  It's fixed in CVS, so
please use that instead.

I didn't change any of the previous layout of rnotes, so I couldn't
use gnome-doc-utils.make rules.  Thus, I simply resorted to writing a 
po/Makefile which provides common actions:
  1. Generate a POT file for translation
     "make release-notes.pot"
  2. Update all translations in PO files and print the stats out
     "make stats"
  3. Merge all translations back (sr.po -> xml-sr/*.xml)
     "make generate" or "make" (this will print the stats out as well)
  4. Periodically "run XMLFILES" to see if there's a missing file you 
     might need to add there (I didn't do $(wildcard ../*.xml) on
     purpose, since you might need to exclude some files).

Not using gnome-doc-utils means that some things (such as missing
translated screenshots) will cause problems in translations, so one
should do something like "if [ ! -f <lang>/figures/$i ]; then cp
figures/$i <lang>/figures/$i; fi".  I'll probably add something
similar in the rule for generating each translation.

So far, I've added partial Serbian (20+ messages translated) and
German translation (1 message translated, probably that one is
incorrect too :).

Translators should do the following:
  1. check-out entire releng/2.x/2.10rnotes/ module
  2. cd releng/2.x/2.10rnotes/po
  2a. if starting, eg. for German (de)
      "make release-notes.pot && cp release-notes.pot de.po"
  2b. if continuing your translation, sync it first
      "make de.po"
  3. update de.po with your favourite PO editor
  4. test translation:
     "make xml-de"
     then look at xml-de/*.xml files with Yelp
  5. add translated screenshots inside xml-de/figures/
  6. update po/ChangeLog
  7. commit de.po and xml-de/figures/*.png
     DO NOT COMMIT xml-de/*.xml files, which can be easily regenerated
     (and should probably be committed only prior to publication,
     depending on Gnome web infrastructure, but I think it's better
     that whoever manages this actually moves it someplace else, such
     as releng/2.x/2.10rnotes/).

Now, it's up to release managers to decide what translations to
publish later on (you can use "make stats" to see which translation
is completely finished).  For all purposes, generated files in
xml-<lang> will exactly mirror the layout of parent 2.10rnotes
directory, so publishing should be as simple as pointing scripts to
different directories.

Murray, there's a simple typo in release notes: look for "sticky
motes" ("motes" vs. "notes": I'm certain translators will find more
when they start translating). 


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]