Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 22:54, Metin Amiroff wrote:
> If I was an Iranian Azeri, that would cause absolutely no problem to me
> as seing something in my native language, especially in a country where
>    "Azeri language had been removed from official use in all areas,
> including, schools, courts, government structures, and the army and
> specific forms of Azeri cultural expression are prohibited as well [1]"
> Gnome would even make me happier displaying some azeri in latin.
> [1] http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/usazerb/334.htm

I'm sorry, but that is a valid source of information. No other language
than Persian has official status in Iran, Azerbaijani only one of them.
But the wording is very pointed. (Just an example, Mohammad Reza
Khatami, the President of Iran, ended his last month speech in Tabriz in
a few minutes of Azerbaijani when he was speaking in an anniversary of
Persia's Constitutional Revolution of early twentieth century.)

The second claim about cultural prohibitions is a lie, specially when
it's not mentioning what kind of cultural expressions it's talking
about. Don't let propaganda fool you.

... but let's avoid politics here. Localization of free software to
Iranian Azerbaijani is very welcome, and it will help end many of the
misunderstandings. I'm sure the Iranian government will also be happy to
see it happen.