Re: String-freeze break in GnomeMeeting

Le samedi 04 septembre 2004 à 13:29 +0200, Christian Rose a écrit :
> Ouch, two whole GNOME releases back? AFAIR the gnomemeeting branch that
> was used for GNOME 2.6 was from the gnomemeeting gnome-2-6 branch, so it
> seems strange to go back to the even older gnome_2_4 branch. Is this
> really intentional?

I'm completely wrong with what I said, not enough coffee yet. I checked
my mail archive.

When GnomeMeeting 1.0 was released, I have branched it with the tag
gnome-2-6, and announced it to desktop-devel-list, gnome-i18n and the
release team. HEAD has continued with daily developments. As HEAD was
not ready to be released as a stable release, I couldn't respect the UI
and string freezes, so I have not created a gnome-2-8 branch and I kept
working on HEAD, mentionning to the release team that GNOME 2.8 would
ship with GM 1.0.2.

> I've updated the GNOME 2.8 translation status pages to show the
> gnomemeeting gnome_2_4 branch now. It should show up as soon as the
> pages update. Let's hope that translators will be able to retrofit their
> translations into that branch.

I'm sorry it should be gnome-2-6.

> But do other contributors know about the correct gnomemeeting branch to
> use? I'm thinking of docs people and others that are mentioned on
> http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/for_maintainers.html that need
> notification of new branches.

I always notify when creating a new branch. People have been notified of
the gnome-2-6 branch creation a bit before the GNOME 2.6 release. As
HEAD was not ready for gnome 2.8, I have not created a gnome-2-8 branch.
I suppose I will create a gnome-2.8 (or gnome 2.10 ?) branch once I'm
ready to release GnomeMeeting 1.2.

Is that the way you are expecting me to do things?
Should I create a synonym gnome-2-8 branch for gnomemeeting that would
correspond to the gnome-2-6 branch?

> The work of many contributors largely depend on them being able to spend
> their time on the correct branches. Given that the module list is as big
> as it is already, and the large number of contributors, any added
> confusion doesn't help. Please be a bit more careful when branching and
> announcing your branches in the future.

Well, I never branched for GNOME 2.8, now I'm a bit puzzled, should I
have done it?

For 1.00, I branched GnomeMeeting HEAD into gnome-2-6 so that
translators can update their translations for GNOME 2.6 and continued
developing on head.

For 1.2, GnomeMeeting was not ready for GNOME 2.8, consequently, I have
not created a gnome-2-8 branch.
Now, should I have done it? When should branching be done?
When I'll release GnomeMeeting 1.2, will I put it in a gnome-2-8 or in a
gnome-2-10 branch?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm confused myself regarding what I should
have done.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org