Re: Ideas for a new logo

lör 2004-09-04 klockan 12.28 skrev Metin Amiroff:
> Vincent van Adrighem wrote:
> > I'm thinking things like:
> >
> > The gnome foot morphed into an earthican globe
> >
> > Maybe something like atlas (or a gnome) carrying the earth.
>
> Here is the first mockup. I'd like to hear opinions of any kind. I
> wanted to create another one with flags, but not sure because using
> flags sometimes can be offensive to some people.
>
> http://www.amiroff.com/drafts/world.png
>
> If you still want flags then, http://www.amiroff.com/drafts/flags.png

Some couple of points:

* The logo should probably say "GTP", "GNOME Translation Project", or
nothing at all. "GNOME-I18N" is probably not that good since it's only
the name of a mailing list, and that list was unfortunately misnamed to
begin with, since we only really deal with translations here, not
internationalization (i18n) which is the adoption of code to deal with
international issues.

* Flags are unsuitable for a number of reasons, both because flags
represent countries and not languages per se, and that flags have
political and historical associations that some users might feel
inappropriate or even offensive in some cases.

* That said, I like the idea of a world map since a world map without
country borders is often much more neutral, but then we might want to
make sure that we don't leave out any of the continents from the map...
Also, using a projection that doesn't favor the northern hemisphere to
the southern hemisphere is perhaps also desirable, if possible.