Re: String-freeze break in GnomeMeeting

lör 2004-09-04 klockan 14.46 skrev Damien Sandras:
[...]
> > I've updated the GNOME 2.8 translation status pages to show the
> > gnomemeeting gnome_2_4 branch now. It should show up as soon as the
> > pages update. Let's hope that translators will be able to retrofit their
> > translations into that branch.
>
> I'm sorry it should be gnome-2-6.

Ok, changed the translation status pages again to list gnomemeeting
gnome-2-6 branch instead.

> > But do other contributors know about the correct gnomemeeting branch to
> > use? I'm thinking of docs people and others that are mentioned on
> > http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/for_maintainers.html that need
> > notification of new branches.
>
> I always notify when creating a new branch. People have been notified of
> the gnome-2-6 branch creation a bit before the GNOME 2.6 release. As
> HEAD was not ready for gnome 2.8, I have not created a gnome-2-8 branch.
> I suppose I will create a gnome-2.8 (or gnome 2.10 ?) branch once I'm
> ready to release GnomeMeeting 1.2.
>
> Is that the way you are expecting me to do things?
> Should I create a synonym gnome-2-8 branch for gnomemeeting that would
> correspond to the gnome-2-6 branch?

That's probably not necessary. However, letting people *know* that this
is the gnomemeeting branch that should be used for GNOME 2.8 is
necessary. If you haven't let all people know, do it as soon as
possible. That's what I wanted to point out. Do others than the release
team and the translators know now? If not, they should probably be told.

[...]
> For 1.2, GnomeMeeting was not ready for GNOME 2.8, consequently, I have
> not created a gnome-2-8 branch.
> Now, should I have done it? When should branching be done?
> When I'll release GnomeMeeting 1.2, will I put it in a gnome-2-8 or in a
> gnome-2-10 branch?

Unless you want GnomeMeeting 1.2 to be the GnomeMeeting version that is
included in GNOME 2.8.x releases in the future, putting it in a
gnome-2-8 branch is probably a bad idea. I would also imagine putting a
completely new major GnomeMeeting version in the stable GNOME 2.8 at a
later point would break all kinds of freezes, like hard code freeze,
feature freeze, string freeze, and UI freeze.

Also, branching for "gnome-2-10" is probably *way* too premature.
Generally, new development is done on HEAD, and things are branched only
once there's a real need to branch, for stabilization and freeze
purposes. Also, I'm not even sure it's decided what the next stable
GNOME release will be called.