Re: Removing unwanted internationalization info

Today at 0:02, Christian Rose wrote:

> I'm of course not arguing that intltool should depend on the auto*
> tools. All I'm saying is that if an ALL_LINGUAS setting exists, it
> should be used. If an ALL_LINGUAS line exists and intltool ignores it,
> then it's a bug in intltool.

Well feel free to report a bug about it :)  I don't think it is, and I
hope we're allowed to have different ideas of what a bug is ;)

> Consider the case if there's a broken translation committed to GNOME
> CVS, and noone around to fix the po file. The quick fix for the
> developer to make his build from CVS work again is to temporarily
> disable the translation in ALL_LINGUAS. If I understand things
> correctly, this wouldn't work because of intltool gratiously ignoring
> the setting and using the po file anyway. Hence the developer would need
> to actually cvs remove the po file, instead of just flipping the
> ALL_LINGUAS switch.

Well, this is a bit blurry now, and you could come up with bunch of
bugs in intltool itself this way.  Simply, intltool is uncapable of
actually parsing configure.ac properly (look at example just posted by
Daniel Elstner, of using shell "backticks"), so we do some parsing,
and hope maintainers use restricted format.  This can happen with
stuff like GETTEXT_PACKAGE, AC_INIT, etc.

Also, there's no need to remove faulty .po file in the particular
case you mention: intltool will handle that gracefully (if not, it IS
a bug in intltool).

>> You're wrong â I'm claiming it's not a bug because it's useful in
>> certain contexts, and because it's what original developer desired
>> while implementing the feature.
>
> Again, I don't see why the ALL_LINGUAS setting should be ignored if it's
> there. After all, it's not like doing a 'test -f' for a file would add a
> dependency. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Well, yes, I agree (I stated in my first mail on the topic that it was
behaviour I prefer).  But it's still an enhancement to be made IMHO,
not a bug.

Cheers,
Danilo