Removing unwanted internationalization info

Hi,

I'm trying to squeeze gnome into as small a space as possible and was
wondering if there is an easy way to remove all the unwanted locale info
(I just need us english for the moment) which is included in the
/etc/gconf/ files. I suppose I could write something to strip out all
the info I don't need based on locale name but it would make my life
easier if there was some existing tool.
Maybe this can be done at compile/install time?

Thanks,

mark.