Re: Removing unwanted internationalization info

sÃn 2004-06-20 klockan 16.36 skrev Danilo Segan:
[...]
> > I'm afraid I don't understand that. I don't see anyone benefitting from
> > intltool being inconsistent with gettext in this area and ignoring this
> > setting.
>
> gettext is a set of tools independent of build system.  One can use
> msgmerge, msgfmt easily without using autoconf.  We want to do the
> same with intltool, so we must not depend on file such as
> "../configure.in" existing (and as you know, this caused a lot of
> problems for us in the recent past â you even reported a bug for this
> to be fixed, I believe, so intltool could be used without autoconf).

I'm of course not arguing that intltool should depend on the auto*
tools. All I'm saying is that if an ALL_LINGUAS setting exists, it
should be used. If an ALL_LINGUAS line exists and intltool ignores it,
then it's a bug in intltool.

Consider the case if there's a broken translation committed to GNOME
CVS, and noone around to fix the po file. The quick fix for the
developer to make his build from CVS work again is to temporarily
disable the translation in ALL_LINGUAS. If I understand things
correctly, this wouldn't work because of intltool gratiously ignoring
the setting and using the po file anyway. Hence the developer would need
to actually cvs remove the po file, instead of just flipping the
ALL_LINGUAS switch.

> > If it is a misbehavior it should be reported as a bug. *Then* one can
> > discuss to what to do in order to solve it, and whether it would be
> > simple or difficult.
> >
> > To me, it sounds like you're either claiming that this unexpected
> > behavior is not a problem at all, or that you're claiming that since it
> > may be difficult to fix we shouldn't even keep track of the problem and
> > instead ignore it and forget it. Either way, I can't for my life figure
> > out why.
>
> You're wrong â I'm claiming it's not a bug because it's useful in
> certain contexts, and because it's what original developer desired
> while implementing the feature.

Again, I don't see why the ALL_LINGUAS setting should be ignored if it's
there. After all, it's not like doing a 'test -f' for a file would add a
dependency. Or am I misunderstanding something?