Re: gtranslator - do not use !

>> (04.02.2004 @ 2026 PST): Pablo Saratxaga said, in 1.8K: <<
> Kaixo!
>
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 07:37:03PM -0500, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
> > The thing about your second issue is that that is not necessarily bad
> > behaviour. I'd personally rather not have software inserting _anything_
> > into translations that I don't tell it to. Anything that is really long
> > and shouldn't have spaces (URLs, formulas, etc.) shouldn't necessarily
> > be broken up. IMO, adding spaces where they weren't explicitly requested
> > is more bad behaviour than the current behaviour.
>
> But they *were* requested!
> Pressing the enter key (that is, requesting for a line break) on most
> languages requires the insertion of a virtual blank;
> only a few languages not using spaces at all won't need that.
> But if you type in English "Open<enter>file" you want to produce
> something like:
>
> msgstr ""
> "Open "
> "file"
>
> and *NOT* something like
>
> msgstr ""
> "Open"
> "file"

No. If I type "Open<enter>file" I'd want to see the latter. If I wanted
a space in there, I'd type "Open <enter>file". The bottom line is that
if I were ever in a situation where I was entering in something very
long and wanted to continue my translaion on the next line without
inserting a space, I'd be unhappy if my software flat-out prevented me
from doing so.

I personally am rather fearful of software that tries to tell me what I
should have been thinking.

> > The first item definitely needs attention, however.
>
> The second too, the second even more than the first.

Even if we were to agree that the behaviour of the second item should be
changed, the first item is still a flat-out bug, and the second item is
still a request for addition of a shortcut to make the program more
usable.

However, that's certainly neither here nor there.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw@magnesium.net || adamw@FreeBSD.org