Re: ANNOUNCE: Kartouche 0.2, Web-based PO translation, byKevinDonnelly

Some issues I'd see with a web-based implementation would be

- Poor interface (by comparison to a feature rich client-side UI)
- Persistent connectivity (might be okay in the US, in other countries
the telecoms cost real money)

Benefits

- Immediate status updates
- Immediate checkins (with scripts to automate the CVS co/ci steps)

Pretty interesting stuff!

Steve.

>>> Simos Xenitellis <simos74@gmx.net> 30/10/2003 21:21:31 >>>

I just saw the announcement of the new version (0.2) of
Kartouche, by Kevin Donnely.

The first version, 0.1 was announced by Telsa on
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2003-March/msg00097.html

Any experiences of using it?

Freshmeat description:
Translation of .po files for localisation projects can be done with a
simple text-editor, or using the dedicated .po editors like KBabel.
Kartouche offers a team-based mechanism for collaborative translation
over the Web. People who are interested in seeing software in their
language, but who may have little techical expertise, can help the
translation effort by entering suggested translations over the Web (or
LAN) with just a browser. Kartouche uses PHP to load the pot files
into
a MySQL database (one file to a table), and then provides a front-end
for people to add suggested translations, and a back-end for the
translation coordinator to accept or reject those suggestions. It can
also be used for GNOME files, and potentially for other apps if
input/output filters are developed.

Home Page: http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/manual.html
Freshmeat Project page: http://freshmeat.net/projects/kartouche/

simos