Re: Translation of program names

Kaixo!

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 01:46:38PM +0000, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

> Actually it is the acronym for GNU Network Object Model Environment.

It smells much more like an after the fact invention.

> So there will have to be five words (minimum) that need to be traslated
> and then the initial letters abbreviated.

No!
It doesn't matter at all where "gnome" comes from; it is now a name of
its own, and translated (or adapted phonologically) as such.
Much the same as "laser", even if it is said to be an acronym for
"light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation".
it is "láser", "lazer", etc in other languages.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature