Re: terminology & translator management

On ?a? 2003-07-03 at 06:21, Christian Rose wrote:
> True. I think we're spoiled that way with Swedish (and again, this is
> also true for some other languages) since we have a thing which is in
> Sweden called "Datatermgruppen", which is an independant committee,
> consisting of linguists, translators and computer journalists, that
> gives recommendations for the translation of common computer terms into
> Swedish. While they are only recommendations, they do at the same time
> have a lot of influence, as most of the recommendations are followed by
> existing translations of Windows and MacOS for example, and after a
> while also find their way into ordinary Swedish dictionaries.

Esperanto has a similar situation, there is a computer lexicon that
seems to be considered the gold standard by everyone.  AS a matter of
fact I translated a term to be more in line with the KDE translation,
and was soundly criticized for not being consistant with the "Komputada
Leksikono" - so go figure :)

Of course its not 100% for everthing, and sometimes has several
suggestions, but in those cases I hold consistancy within GNOME above
all.

--
Charles Voelger <cvoelger@dweasel.com>