Re: terminology & translator management

Hi!

Am Mit, 2003-07-02 um 12.00 schrieb pclouds:
> I am the coordinator of Vietnamese Team. I assign PO files to

I'm in the German Team and did some coordinating works for the gnome-2.0
release.

> translators, then get the translations back to commit it. It is
> difficult to remember which file is assigned to which translator. I
> also want to send a mail to the translators periodically, asking them
> to report the translating progress.
> I have to do all those myself so far. So it would be great to know if
> someone have written a program for those tasks.

Well, we handle this somewhat different: we do not assign po-files to
someone, but anyone who wants to help out looks on the status-pages and
takes a program that has untranslated strings.
Then he sends a message to our mailinglist "Hi, just started to complete
module xyz".
When he is done, he sends the po-File (and a diff) back to the
mailinglist, so someone who has CVS-access can proof-read (!) the file,
tell the translator some tips and correct the file.
After that he checks the file in.

> I also have another problem with terms ;) Different translators
> translate a term in different ways. That's bad. I would like to have a
> place for translators to discuss about terms and use only one of them.
> Is there a program to do that?

For general things we have a guideline for our translation work. It is
online on our website and every translator should have read it.
Besides general guidelines, we also have some common terms in there, for
example how to translate menu-items, etc...

If someone thinks we need to discuss a term or have to choose between
differnet translations, we do this on our mailinglist.

Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Manuel
--
m.borchers@gnome-de.org
http://www.gnome-de.org - http://www.matronix.de

 13:30:26 up 21:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.01