Re: run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 20:21, Danilo Segan wrote:
> ïîíåäåšàê, 25. àâãóñò 2003. 20:05:28 CEST — Alexander Larsson íàïèñà:
> >
> > The strings are just copy-and-pasted from the rest of the file with
> > minimal changes (i.e. changed trash to http). I know they are not
> > perfect, but they are not worse than the rest of them, and it was
> > important to get this into todays beta release.
>
> And it isn't at all important to have any of these strings translated
> in "todays beta release"? :-(

Did I say that they were not important at all? I did not, and I don't
think so. However, I do consider having a panel that doesn't hang and
links working in the terminal to be more important than getting 100%
theoretical translation coverage. If that makes me a bad person, so be
it.

> Yikes, but the string freeze is there just for that purpose -- to have
> a chance to get all the strings translated (even in beta releases), so
> users of those beta release could also report omissions in translations
> of strings.
>

> If you don't care about the translation (which, unfortunately, seems to
> be the case), that's why there's the established protocol one must
> follow -- ask release team *and* translators if it's ok to add them.

I did not ask christian, and I'm sorry about that. That was a breach of
protocol. Its just that sometimes when I spend a day fixing a bug in
order to get a bad bug out of an imminent release I get sort of carried
away. I did talk to various people (in the release team etc) on irc,
although there was no official "ok" from the release team on any mailing
list.

> And of course, there'll be only a one or two languages with complete
> translations in that beta release, for the particular reason that the
> strings were added right before the release. That's just bad practice,
> and it should be discouraged -- strings should be added *early* in the
> release cycle, to give translators a chance.

Yes. Anyone could have fixed this bug earlier. That would have been
better. However, nobody did, so we got this situation.

                   alexl@redhat.com    alla@lysator.liu.se
He's a gun-slinging gay dog-catcher from a doomed world. She's a tortured
green-skinned socialite living on borrowed time. They fight crime!