Re: run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 19:52, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> > I just checked this in. It will mean some new, non-visible mostly lame
> > strings. I'm sorry about this, but i wasn't able to make the strings
> > untranslated.
>
> I am not feeling very happy.
>
> Personally, I think they should have been added. And I do think that if
> they were added, they should have been made translatable. The whole
> point of the i18n/l19n effort is so that *all* user-visible strings are
> translatable.
>
> However, I do *not* think that they should have been added without the
> consent of the release team and the i18n team. As far as I understand,
> the consent of neither was obtained.
>
> And I do not think that the messages were particularly well-written.
>
> <short>How to handle http URLs</short>
> <long>Set to true to have a program specified in command handle http URLs
> </long>
>
> "How" is not appropriate for a boolean option, and the description does not
> match the long description. The long description, and, as such, should be
> finished by a full stop ("period" / "."). "command", as it refers to a key name
> and hence should not be translated, should be enclosed in double quotes.
>
> <short>URL handler for http uris</short>
> <long>URL handler for http uris</long>
>
> This is confusing. Are they URLs or URIs? In any case, URI should be in
> uppercase, and possibly HTTP too. Again, the long description should be
> properly punctuated. There are similar problems with the strings for
> HTTPS handlers.
>
> I do recognize the need to break the string freeze occasionally, but when it
> happens, extra care should be taken with the changes being made. Shoddy,
> unapproved changes very late into the freeze are not acceptable.

The strings are just copy-and-pasted from the rest of the file with
minimal changes (i.e. changed trash to http). I know they are not
perfect, but they are not worse than the rest of them, and it was
important to get this into todays beta release.

                   alexl@redhat.com    alla@lysator.liu.se
He's an uncontrollable Jewish gentleman spy with a mysterious suitcase
handcuffed to his arm. She's a chain-smoking streetsmart archaeologist from
out of town. They fight crime!