Re: OO.o .desktop files ...

Am Mi, 2003-08-20 um 17.41 schrieb Michael Meeks:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 14:00, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > We don't want to install any of these po files, they
> > should only be included in the tarballs. Note: This makes Makefile.in.in
> > useless - anyway, it is installed by gettext/intltool.
> > The rest looks ok.
>
> 	Yep; so - I just had a poke at this; and added 'gettextize' to
> autogen.sh, and this screwed me really badly, by doing some daft:
>
> find -name 'Makefile.am' -dump; or somesuch over a complete OO.o, gcc,
> binutils etc. tree all of which are contained within our directory - so
> this looks really sub-optimal.
>
> 	I'd like to bin the gettextize form our autogen.sh [ which deliberately
> doesn't use the gnome-common stuff to avoid terrifying those afraid of
> dependencies incidentally ].
>
> 	Does that mean I need to checkin a po/Makefile.in.in - I really have no
> idea how this whole thing is supposed to hang together.
>
> 	Ultimately, I guess I _think_ we only want intltool to shove some
> strings into the .desktop files; is that so ?
The problem is:
intltoolize want gettextize - and we need intltool-* scripts to make
life easy for our translators. If you convince the intltool guys to
write something (maybe they are already there, but I haven't seen it)
that doesn't require gettextize in autogen.sh, we could drop that.
We have the same problem with gDesklets where I wrote a few ugly
workarounds for all those problems, e.g. the localedir variable is
normally hardcoded.
The onliest thing we need from intltool are the scripts I mentioned
above. If you want generated translations (i.e. es.gmo, cp. contents of
localedir), we'd have to write a weird Makefile invoking msgfmt (cp.
gDesklets).

regs,
 Chris