Re: non-utf8 po files breaking the build

tis 2002-11-26 klockan 13.31 skrev Keld Jørn Simonsen:
> > > there were new things in it.
> >
> > Sorry, I didn't notice. What new input did you bring? What potential
> > drawbacks hasn't been mentioned and discussed already?
>
> The problem with tools.

That point has certainly been discussed over and over on this list.

> > > And then people need the new tools. gettext 0.11 is not
> > > in standard distributions yet.
> >
> > I don't know what you count as "standard distributions", but for your
> > information I can tell you that Red Hat has had gettext 0.11 in at least
> > two major releases, and also Mandrake and SuSE has it.
>
> Only in the latest distributions.

There are many more things that are only available in the latest
distributions. Latest gcc compilers, latest glibc and other important
libraries, and even the latest stable GNOME, for example. I don't see
how it could come as a surprise for any developer that doing
bleeding-edge desktop development becomes increasingly more difficult
the older the rest of your system is.

And eating one's own dogfood is certainly an important part of the
development process, which is even the more reason to have a fairly
uptodate system. I don't see how I can call myself a GNOME2 translator
if I don't even use at least GNOME 2.x, as an example. That's certainly
a reasonable request, especially since GNOME 2.x is included in many
distributions and one doesn't even have to compile it. And if one wants
to do development on a older system, one should expect to have to
upgrade some libraries and tools anyway.