Re: non-utf8 po files breaking the build

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:43:12PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:

> > > I think this would be mostly ok, but perhaps inverse matching on a full
> > > "charset=UTF-8" would be more failsafe than just inverse matching on an
> > > initial U in the charset.
> >
> > I don't think you should do it, it would create some burdens for
> > translators that are unnecesary.
>
> Can you explain this in more detail? What specific burdens, and why do
> you think they are unnecessary? Vague comments without rationales don't
> help.

I have discussed this earlier.

One ting is people doing corrections and not observing that the encoding
is UTF-8, and just correcting it in iso-8859-1. I have seen a number
of examples of this in kde, these errors are cumbersome to solve,
and these problems are unnecessary, and a waiste of my time.

Another thing is that my tools for translation, sed scripts,
spellcheckers, are based on the encoding I use, and they dont work with
utf-8.

To me Linux stands for freedom - in the choice of tools to use, and
I do not see the need to impose use of specific tools when there is no
need to. The gnome cvs system for translated files have worked fine
with different encodings the two years I have used it, so I see no need
to change it.

Best regards
keld