Re: Problem with gtranslator and utf-8 (slovak and azeritranslations)

Sk, 2002-01-27 23:05, Fatih Demir rašė:
>     We have translated gtranslator into slovak language (sk) and we have this problem:
>
>     $ intltool-update sk
>     Working, please wait.............................................. done.
>     internationalized messages should not contain the `\b' escape sequence
>
> But this '\b' isn't from a gtranslator message -- msgid's should be
> without any such escaped chars.

Should be without.... but there is one. And that's the problem.

>     I think, this is problem in the new generated sk.po file:
>     #: src/zpmd.h:38
>     msgid ""
>     msgstr ""
>     This is from src/zpmd.h file: ....
>
> Sure? I did move it to a separate file and it's included as the last
> message therefore -- this problem won't affect any other messages lying
> in other source files, so that all other messages should be fine while
> updating the po file.

#: src/zpmd.h:38
msgid "·"
msgstr "·"

msgids can't have chars with 8th bit set, and this one has. No matter
how you write it in source file, "·" or "\xb7", it represents exactly
the same char. And it is not possible to translate it.

> Well, the problem is a such long brewn stuff... let's forget about it
> and say: it works mostly and should work. It won't eat up many
> translations from the other source files (it's the last translation
> message, remember this) and that's important for me.

Middle dot was always a problem... and still is. BTW, it's the same
problem as with copyright sign.

> If I did understand something wrong, then re-complain, but the current
> situation is the best possible solution for the GNOME 1.x world.

It will not change in GNOME 2 world.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas
Kaunas, Lithuania