Re: Problem with gtranslator and utf-8 (slovak and azeri translations)

Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:

> Sk, 2002-01-27 23:05, Fatih Demir rašė:
>
>>    We have translated gtranslator into slovak language (sk) and we have this problem:
>>
>>    $ intltool-update sk
>>    Working, please wait.............................................. done.
>>    internationalized messages should not contain the `\b' escape sequence
>>
>>But this '\b' isn't from a gtranslator message -- msgid's should be
>>without any such escaped chars.
>>

> Should be without.... but there is one. And that's the problem.
>

>>    I think, this is problem in the new generated sk.po file:
>>    #: src/zpmd.h:38
>>    msgid ""
>>    msgstr ""
>>    This is from src/zpmd.h file: ....
>>
>>Sure? I did move it to a separate file and it's included as the last
>>message therefore -- this problem won't affect any other messages lying
>>in other source files, so that all other messages should be fine while
>>updating the po file.
>>

> #: src/zpmd.h:38
> msgid "·"
> msgstr "·"
>
> msgids can't have chars with 8th bit set, and this one has. No matter
> how you write it in source file, "·" or "\xb7", it represents exactly
> the same char. And it is not possible to translate it.
>

>>Well, the problem is a such long brewn stuff... let's forget about it
>>and say: it works mostly and should work. It won't eat up many
>>translations from the other source files (it's the last translation
>>message, remember this) and that's important for me.
>>

> Middle dot was always a problem... and still is. BTW, it's the same
> problem as with copyright sign.

oh, and I have not offered a solution. Make that "special char" a simple
underscore ("_"), and leave comment for translators so that they change it
to middle dot. Also, there should be a setting to change that char (if
someone uses non-localized version).

--
Gediminas