Re: UTF-8 in GNOME2 po files

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:27:28AM +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:

> > An decision whether there should be a requirement for UTF-8 in all
> > GNOME2 translations isn't really up to me, though. But in any case there
> > needs to be a decision soon.
> >

> The main problem is with all systems with glibc < 2.2 will not work with
> GNOME 2.0 so Will us require that ALL world update its distro to glibc
> >= 2.2? Why? I know some people that likes RedHat 6.2 much more that
> RedHat 7.x (for example) or think that the latest Debian release is
> based on glibc < 2.2...
>
> I think that we can only use UTF-8 as .po encoding to solve this
> problem.

Or we could say "If you want different charsets to work reliably, then
you'll need glibc-2.2", and have a configure.in check for the gettext
charset support.

That is, those that are happy with the status quo (presumably English
speakers) can carry on using their preferred systems neither gaining nor
losing functionality.  Everyone else gets to upgrade for new features.

(My only concern with requiring the .po files to be in UTF8 is that it
makes it slightly harder to edit them - you have to find the right tools.
Having the code use the support if it exists feels like a cleaner solution
to me.)

- Dick

PGP signature