Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> Doesn't sound terrible nice - what's supposed to be wrong with it? I
> have been using it for editing in Danish for quite some time without
> any troubles?

As long as you stay in one locale plus a "sane" encoding.  Don't try to
paste text from an iso-8859-15 xterm into a UTF-8 Emacs buffer and
within Emacs don't kill iso-8859-1 text and yank it into the *po-edit*
buffer.

The problem is, Emacs 21.{1,2} doesn't "unify" the different encoded
texts; Emacs in CVS HEAD knows about those settings:

(when (fboundp 'unify-8859-on-encoding-mode)
  (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
  (unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1))

Further I didn't manage to convince Emacs to display Japanese or Chinese
texts encoded in UTF-8 (to be honest I didn't try that hard).

Otherwise Emacs is great.  I use it for all text related jobs (editing,
mailing, file manager, CVS front end, Info reader, etc.) :-)

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o