Re: xml-i18n-tools and .desktop files

On 21 May 2001 17:04:05 +0200, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> More usefull yet would be a small tutorial explaining how to modifiy
> sources of a Gnome program so that the desktop, directory, soundlists, etc
> files get handled by xml-i18n-tools.
>
> The main adavantage of doing so is that those files will then be translated
> trough the normal po mechanism (not at run time; but at compile time), which
> means they will finally be iun synch with curent translation status (those
> files tend to be very very behind compared to the po files)

I have written a script, named xml-i18n-prepare, which does almost all
work for you: finds .desktop, .soundlist, .keys, .glade.h files, says
commands to remove them from cvs and what to add to cvs, updates
.cvsignore files, changes Makefile.am to rebuild the files, changes
POTFILES.in to get messages from new .in files, and, most important,
adds existing translations from desktop files to po files, so nothing
gets lost.

run "xml-i18n-prepare -x" to get verbose output, i.e. to see what you
should have done yourself :)

it is possible, that a script does not understand Makefile's, so you
must check if everything builds and updates correctly. But in most
cases, it works. Other parts of script should always do their job well.

What it doesn't do: oaf and xml
files. But how to do oaf is written
in NEWS/README.

--