Re: xml-i18n-tools and .desktop files

Kaixo!

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 06:01:15PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
>
> > More usefull yet would be a small tutorial explaining how to modifiy
> > sources of a Gnome program so that the desktop, directory, soundlists, etc
> > files get handled by xml-i18n-tools.
>
> Sure.  But this has to be done by someone knowning Perl.

Not needed.
There is no need to know perl to know the right parameter to pass to
one of xml-i18n-* scripts, and what to add to po/POFILES.in, etc.

What is needed is a step by step guide for package mantainers that don't
necessarly know about perl, nor about xml-i18n-tools, not even about i18n.

>> The main adavantage of doing so is that those files will then be
>> translated trough the normal po mechanism (not at run time; but at
>> compile time), which means they will finally be iun synch with curent
>> translation status (those files tend to be very very behind compared
>> to the po files)
>
> Yes, I know and I want to use these tools.  That's why I'm asking for
> documentation.

Last time I tried to "xml-i18n-tools'ize" a source tree I ended in deep
trouble; well, there was a bug at that time, but however, now I prefer
to be sure before attempting again :)

When a source is correclty "xml-i18n-tools'ized" then it works very well
(well, there were some small bugs I reported, when more than one '='
appeared, or with '\'. I hope they are fixed now)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975