Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 03:11:58PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
I totally disagree with all of this. Some minimal resources on
cvs.gnome.org costs us nearly nothing. Most projects like these are
small and don't generate a huge amount of traffic, so the cost to the
gnome project is very low. However, the gain of goodwill from developers
is immense (in fact, its the only thing of lasting value the gnome
project has).

I agree here, we really need to be sucking more stuff into CVS, not
less. It doesn't cost us much to just host, we don't have to make it
part of GNOME until it's ready. Miguel is the master of getting
contributors and we should all study his approach. ;-)

It might be nice to get CVS moved to ssh though; perhaps we can
do that now that we have a new machine.
So do contributors still need a unique application before it is admitted to Gnome? Should Gnome's CVS host more than one project that covers a the same ideas and goals?

The reason I ask, is currently Gnome Jabber sits on Sourceforge's servers. I am happy for it to stay there while their are concerns about Gnome's resources, but would much rather it was in Gnome's CVS.

Currently there already is another application (Gossip) which Gnome hosts. I am helping the Mikael and Richard (from Imendio) develop Gossip, but would like to continue Gnome Jabber at the same time.

Regards,
Martyn