Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 18:05, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 2:39PM -0800, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 05:23:33PM -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> >>  This wouldn't stop determined vandals and/or morons, but it should
> >> help
> >>  prevent well-meaning newbies from breaking other people's code.
> >
> > Do we even care about that though? The few times it's happened we just
> > gave them the cluebat treatment and reverted, it wasn't a big deal.
> >
> > I'm more worried about malicious stuff.
>
> The thing that worries me most is not even malicious stuff aimed at
> hurting gnome, but the possibility of the secret addition of
> compromising code to core modules.

Wouldn't that count as malicious stuff aimed at hurting GNOME? I don't
think Havoc necessarily means someone cvs removing all of metacity ..
that's pretty easily recoverable.

While module maintainer vigilance and CVS commits mail is our first line
of defense against someone introducing trojan code, being able to give
people an account to work on MyCoolDesktopToy without having them be
able to commit something to gnome-session would be a welcome extra
safeguard.

Regards,
						Owen