Re: random thought about bug-buddy (in the 'very long term thinking' category)

hi Glynn and all,

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 21:04, Glynn Foster wrote:
> The reality is that unless people go out and actually fix the bugs you
> can't actually make a statement of 'supporting' the old platform. Maybe
> I'm getting confused with the term 'supporting' from a corporate
> perspective. Right now, as ever, if you find a bug there is no way you
> can force anybody to fix it other than you.

oh I see your point.

By 'supporting the old platform', I simply mean that the current set of
hackers who have left the old platform leave the door open for future
hackers.

That is, we leave the channels open for CVS, mailing lists and bugzilla
usage of the old platform.

The context of this discussion is Louies suggestion to block old
bug-buddy's from submitting bugs. I'm suggesting this is an obstacle to
leaving the door open for people to support the old platform.

> > My argument is that from the pool of people still dependent on the old
> > platform, new hackers and bug fixers and bug triagers will always arise.
>
> Absolutely, I would like to think that this is the case too...I'm just
> confused by your comments saying 'We still support the old platform.
> This is an official GNOME policy' and who this is directed towards.

No gnome policy can force anyone to do anything, this is volunteer
based.

A statement of support means we will facilitate those people trying to
fix stuff on the old platform. It doesn't mean we promise to fix
anything for anyone, we don't even promise that for the current
platform!

I have been in a position where I wanted to fix bugs in 'old' gnome
software, but I missed some very useful bug reports as they were closed
on the basis of being based on obsoleted software. I just want us to
avoid this sort of situation.

On the other hand, I am sympathetic to keeping bugzilla tidy for hacking
the current platform. We can do both.

ta,
wayne