Re: random thought about bug-buddy (in the 'very long term thinking' category)

hi,

On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 20:57, Glynn Foster wrote:
> We only 'officially support the old platform' if people are willing to
> support [and I mean bug fix here] it. Right now, I'm not really seeing
> this, with no disrepect to Kjartan here ;)

We're are you getting this condition from?

When the release team recently reaffirmed that we officially support the
old platform, I don't remember seeing this condition attached.

This condition is essentially unworkable anyway. How do you prove this
condition?

Right now the majority of bug reports reported each week are still for
gnome 1.4 (check out the weekly report scripts on bugzilla.gnome.org).
many of them do come in with patches. Gnome 1.4 hacking is still
happening (albeit very slowly).

Essentially, you can't prove when people aren't willing to fix stuff
anymore. Even if everything was dead, you never know when someone is
going to come forward and start fixing bugs (maybe because they are in a
developing country and run gnome on old hardware, or for some reason
their company has made a committment to the gnome 1.4 platform that they
are locked into for 3-4 years).

My argument is that from the pool of people still dependent on the old
platform, new hackers and bug fixers and bug triagers will always arise.

thanks,
wayne