Re: random thought about bug-buddy (in the 'very long term thinking' category)

søn, 2002-07-07 kl. 12:57 skrev Glynn Foster:
> Hey,
> Okay, I couldn't resist ;)
>
> > You are right to be in 'long-term-thinking' mode, and to be thinking
> > pragmatically about what is possible for bugmasters.
> >
> > I think there are several reasonable objections to this:
> >
> > a) We still support the old platforms. This is the offical gnome policy.
>
> We only 'officially support the old platform' if people are willing to
> support [and I mean bug fix here] it. Right now, I'm not really seeing
> this, with no disrepect to Kjartan here ;)

None taken :)

There's really just *one* bug that needs professional extermination
skills, and that is probably causing at least a third of the reports for
1.4.x. The problem is that nobody has been able to find the memory
corrupting bug in the panel that makes it crash in various different
ways. If some of the real programmers would step up and fix this once
and for all I think the reports on this platform would drop to a very
slow drizzle.

Anyone with skills using valgrind/electric fence/purify (haven't found
anyone who actually has access to a machine with purify on) are welcome
to plug this one so we can leave 1.4.x for maintenance for real.

And seriously we should _never_ leave a platform hanging with bugs this
serious in the future. The state of 1.4.x isn't that bad except for the
known issues with libzvt/gnome-terminal and this one panel crash...

Cheers
Kjartan