Re: Arlo, a little QA comment regarding your interview with linux .com

Le mer, 25 oct 2000 22:40:53, Mark Gordon a écrit :

> If an application doesn't load instantly, a splash screen
> is useful to let the user
> know that the application didn't either hang or quietly
> fail to launch.

Yeah. however, if I remember well, last time we wrote about
this people talked about some effects on lanch icons to show
the app was running, not splashs that take out a fifth of
your screen for tens of seconds.

Might be less obvious or more difficult to implement
(however WM does this) but definitively a better answer.

> program doesn't start successfully.  Writing a capplet to
> allow users to override the
> default behaviour is reasonable, but the default behavior
> makes sense for most users.

Makes sense once, twice but my experience is you grow tired
of the nice pictures quickly.

Especially if the splash-ridden app is the mail-app you
launch every few minutes.

And I won't comment on defaults that users shouldn't be
allowed to override.

--
Nicolas