Re: First UI component needing replacement.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dylan Griffiths" <Dylan_G@bigfoot.com>

> But why not just allow it to be on a per application basis?  I doubt it
> would ever grow beyond 10 directories.

Although it sounds nice, it would probably be more useful to have an actual
"history" system with the back and forward buttons ...

> First, there is no such thing as a hidden file.  Hidding complexity from
the
> user, rather than letting them work with it if they choose to, is the
first
> sign that we've gone from helping the user accomplish a task, to
attempting
> to outsmart the user at their own game.  It is petty, and most people do
not
> appreciate it (myself included).

Yes, there should be hidden files.  This is very easy to defend.  However,
it should be easier to hide and show files of a given type (starting with a
. or whatever).  A "filter" should be _very_ easy for the user to use.

> Second, cltrl+a has always been select all in any dialog I've used.
>
> (Note: we should likely document even these "obvious seeming" shortcut
keys
> so we can build a "new user guide" thing like Win 3.1 had.  I've yet to
see
> a modern GUI which gives you a proper "how to use me" intro, although the
> MacOS probably has something for this :)).

Agreed -- and have you never used Windows 95 How & Why?

> > A "split" bar, that lets us split the directory tree listing, and
> > scroll it independantly, to allow easier drag and drops (only the
> > top window would have its files browsed).

Dragging & dropping files is best done from the full-featured file
browser -- which should be a one-click away from within the common file
dialog (click button & current directory appears in new "browser" window).