Re: First UI component needing replacement.

"Michael T. Babcock" wrote:
> > But why not just allow it to be on a per application basis?  I doubt it
> > would ever grow beyond 10 directories.
> Although it sounds nice, it would probably be more useful to have an actual
> "history" system with the back and forward buttons ...

I think that's too much.  A simple history of the directories where the Open
dialog has succesfully returned + an aging system based on times the same
thing has been returned (much like ttl in an ICMP packet) would be more
effective, IMO, and not be as clutterd.

> Yes, there should be hidden files.  This is very easy to defend.  However,
> it should be easier to hide and show files of a given type (starting with a
> . or whatever).  A "filter" should be _very_ easy for the user to use.

What is your reasoning for having global hidden files?

I do not mean filtering.  I mean the default of Win9x to not show a whole
bunch of files, as well as a bunch of attributes (such as the complete file
name) in a misguided attempt to dumb-down the interface.

> > Second, cltrl+a has always been select all in any dialog I've used.
> >
> > (Note: we should likely document even these "obvious seeming" shortcut
> keys
> > so we can build a "new user guide" thing like Win 3.1 had.  I've yet to
> see
> > a modern GUI which gives you a proper "how to use me" intro, although the
> > MacOS probably has something for this :)).
>
> Agreed -- and have you never used Windows 95 How & Why?

No.  Is it included with Windows?  I'd prefer that Gnome have a nice usage
guide that is an optional package.  New users can work with it, and it can
show them examples of dialogs and explain how to use the keys for it.
Advanced users could choose to not install it.

> > > A "split" bar, that lets us split the directory tree listing, and
> > > scroll it independantly, to allow easier drag and drops (only the
> > > top window would have its files browsed).
>
> Dragging & dropping files is best done from the full-featured file
> browser -- which should be a one-click away from within the common file
> dialog (click button & current directory appears in new "browser" window).

(Not my words you are replying to)

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.