Re: First UI component needing replacement.

Dylan Griffiths <Dylan_G@bigfoot.com> writes:

> 	For the first component to be replaced, I have decided that
> the horrible son-of-Motif GTK+ file dialogs must go.  I have made a
> mockup of a proper file dialog, available here:

Are you terribly wedded to the multicolumn file listings?  I
absolutely abhor them.  Making someone scan up and down and
right-to-left to find a file is a pain.  And when it's further
implemented with horizontal scrolling, it's very hard to find
anything.

You'll notice that lists in print rarely have multicolumn treatments
like that if people are intended to find anything in them.  Scanning
from top to bottom is quick and easy for a person to do, and I don't
see any reason to include the icky windows default.

Furthermore, if you're columnating like Windows, a single long
filename will make really wide columns, removing the virtue of having
multiple columns on screen.

If you keep the multicolumn side-scrolling horror, please make an
entry in the Gnome->UI control panel to set the default to detailed
mode or something.  I _hate_ side-scrolling, and I want to be able to
make it go away completely in my use.

90 days, 15 hours, 13 minutes, 32 seconds till we run away.
Lady Luck brings added income today.  Lady friend takes it away tonight.