Re: [gnome-flashback] gnome-sessions on Ubuntu 15.10+

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg gmail com> wrote:
    I.e. lets please set those ^ XDG variables in
    /usr/lib/gnome-flashback/gnome-flashback-metacity, at least when
    they're unset...

I don't like this idea. Does any other desktop environment set these
things? Also that would mean that ubuntu has to patch more files to
change  'GNOME-Flashback:GNOME' to 'GNOME-Flashback:Unity'. Dmitry -
what do you think?

I think that it really should be handled by x2go...

I also faced that issue in the LTSP display manager, LDM.
I fixed LDM and it correctly parses DisplayNames, it sets XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP etc.

The x2go developers may or may not fix this.
One may claim it's their fault for not catching up with the new standards, OK.
And another may claim that new standards should have a minimum of backwards compatibility, like reasonable defaults when the new env vars are not set.

`startx` is also affected, it will be the first time in history when `startx` won't work.
And one may still claim that it's the xsession's scripts' fault for not catching up with the new standards.

Does startx use flashback script file? Or it use directly gnome-session?

But in any case, we can't claim that a broken gnome-flashback without a menu is not our fault.
==> IMHO, we should either have a working menu, or refuse to run and die with an error "required environment variables XXX are not set".

Will this be enough?:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -z $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP ]; then
  export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME-Flashback:GNOME
fi

exec gnome-session --session=gnome-flashback-metacity --disable-acceleration-check "$@"