Re: [gnome-flashback] gnome-sessions on Ubuntu 15.10+

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg gmail com> wrote:
On 18/01/2016 05:52 μμ, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:

Thanks! Problem is 1.2 version...

Can you test if this fixes problem fully or there is/will be other
problems?:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-flashback/commit/?id=14bd500e560d7aef62dfeeac0e87574d702c6d86

Thank you Alberts,

it worked fine with regards to xrandr,

Just to make sure it really worked - you did re-enable display-config under org.gnome.gnome-flashback, right?

yet the problem with the XDG* variables still exists. Details:

That patch was intended to fix only crash.

1) I applied the patch:
apt-get source gnome-flashback
apt-get build-dep gnome-flashback
apply patch
debuild -b -tc
dpkg -i ../gnome-flashback*.deb

2) I tried x2go, it showed a desktop but without the menus.

3) I edited /usr/lib/gnome-flashback/gnome-flashback-metacity:
#! /bin/sh
+export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME-Flashback:Unity DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome-flashback-metacity
exec gnome-session --session=gnome-flashback-metacity --disable-acceleration-check "$@"

4) I tried x2go and it worked fine, it even had my specified 1024x768 resolution as the default one.

I know that it's expected from display managers to set all the XDG* variables.
But can't gnome-flashback take care that it still works fine if they don't? E.g. if the user runs plain `startx`?

I.e. lets please set those ^ XDG variables in /usr/lib/gnome-flashback/gnome-flashback-metacity, at least when they're unset...

I don't like this idea. Does any other desktop environment set these things? Also that would mean that ubuntu has to patch more files to change  'GNOME-Flashback:GNOME' to 'GNOME-Flashback:Unity'. Dmitry - what do you think?

I think that it really should be handled by x2go...
1. and 7. should be fixed by that patch and will be available both in 3.18.x and 3.20.x releases. and that fix probably can be backported to older release if needed, bet there will be no releases from me for older versions.
2. mentions something about adding environment variables - does not that mean that x2go will do all needed work?

Or nothing of that has not been accepted and are only patches sent to mailing list?