Re: [gnome-flashback] Patches and Branding (was: Debug-ability; getting gnome-panel 3.8 out)

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Philipp Kaluza <floss ghostroute eu> wrote:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-gnome/desktop/experimental/gnome-panel/debian/patches/10_bookmarks_limit.patch?view=markup
mate-panel has been shipping it also, so I pushed it. :)

Thanks!

Are you guys planning to push gnome-panel 3.8 into saucy ? It seems that
you picked up all interesting patches that went into 3.8.0 anyway,
modulo my wrapper script and translation updates. So rebasing on 3.8.0
shouldn't bring any new regressions.

Too late for Saucy, sorry. But we'll be able to push it to one of GNOME 3 PPAs.

Oh I see that you are already shipping gnome-session 3.9.90 in saucy.
How has your experience been there, together with gnome-panel ?

It mostly works fine. There are issues with keyboard layouts switching
and shortcuts, but I hope they will be resolved soon.

One more personal request:
When the user selects "Gnome Flashback", you launch gnome flashback
including compiz. This gives a somewhat different user experience. I'm
not too sure how I feel about that.
How would you feel about renaming that to "Gnome Flashback (with Compiz
effects)" or similar ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy that you guys (meaning, in this
case, Ubuntu) picked up the brand I suggested, and help push it out to
the world. But I'd like it to mean the same thing across different
distributions.

+1. This is even worse because the Compiz session is has many bugs
(crashes, draws windows behind the panels, Alt+RightClick doesn't
work, etc).

I propose the names "Gnome Flashback (with Compiz)" and "Gnome
Flashback (with Metacity)". Again, too late for Saucy, but I'll apply
this change in 3.8 packages.