[gnome-flashback] Patches and Branding (was: Debug-ability; getting gnome-panel 3.8 out)

Hi Dmitry,

Am 26.09.2013 17:41, schrieb Dmitry Shachnev:
Hi Philipp, and thanks for your analysis.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Philipp Kaluza <floss ghostroute eu> wrote:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-gnome/desktop/experimental/gnome-panel/debian/patches/10_bookmarks_limit.patch?view=markup
Was not sure about the rationale for this one. Now looking through the
launchpad bug, I'm still confused. Is it so that the menu doesn't start
folding when a lot of XDG_USER_DIRS are declared ?
If so, what about netbooks ? They have a low screen height. Ubuntu has
shipped this patch for a while, so I guess I'm asking if it has caused
you any problems. :)
I am not aware of any problems with that, though I didn't use
gnome-panel on netbooks for the last two years...
mate-panel has been shipping it also, so I pushed it. :)

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/saucy/gnome-panel/saucy/view/head:/debian/patches/85_disable_shutdown_on_ltsp.patch
Drat, meant to re-investigate this one. Is that because a gnome user on
LTSP is talking to the remote GDM ? However, what about LTSP clients
that use a local gdm as server chooser ? The gdm greeter session would
not have LTSP_CLIENT set, correct ?
This is something Jonathan should know better.
Pinged him, let's see if he can complete our mental picture of LTSP.

Is the Ubuntu packaging also in some kind of VCS ? (Is the bazaar one
listed above canonical, and if so, what's the root URL ?)
We have packaging imported into lp:ubuntu/gnome-panel, but it's
usually not for humans to push changes to (though forking it and
filing merge proposals is possible).
OK, will try to watch that irregularly. But feel free to ping here about
interesting patches. :)

Are you guys planning to push gnome-panel 3.8 into saucy ? It seems that
you picked up all interesting patches that went into 3.8.0 anyway,
modulo my wrapper script and translation updates. So rebasing on 3.8.0
shouldn't bring any new regressions.

Oh I see that you are already shipping gnome-session 3.9.90 in saucy.
How has your experience been there, together with gnome-panel ?

One more personal request:
When the user selects "Gnome Flashback", you launch gnome flashback
including compiz. This gives a somewhat different user experience. I'm
not too sure how I feel about that.
How would you feel about renaming that to "Gnome Flashback (with Compiz
effects)" or similar ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy that you guys (meaning, in this
case, Ubuntu) picked up the brand I suggested, and help push it out to
the world. But I'd like it to mean the same thing across different
distributions.

Cheers
  Philipp

--